Monday, March 11, 2019

Sunday March 10. Naples

My train from Verona to Naples left at 8:45AM so it was another early morning for your boy. The train ride itself was cool. The views were cool and definitely Italian but it had nothing on the views of the Alps when I rode from Germany, through Austria, and into Italy.

I arrived in Naples and boy, does this city have character. I can see why people would say it's dirty. It's really not that dirty though. It doesn't have trash on the streets the way San Francisco and New York does. I think it get its dirty reputation from the old, smog stained buildings. I don't even mind the look. It feels very authentic.

It was a fucking HIKE to my hotel though. Naples is full of small, tight alleyways. I can see why it gets a reputation as being dangerous because if someone stole something from me and took off running, it'd be incredibly easy to get away. To be fair, I didn't feel unsafe at all.

By the time I unpacked and was ready to head out into the city, it was already 3:00PM. I hadn't had breakfast since the train in was so early, so I was super excited to get some of this world famous napoletano pizza.

And it didn't disappoint! It's just as good as advertised. The crust might be the most amazing part. I'm not the best food critic so I'll just describe it as tasty, incredible, and more soupy than any other pizza I've had. You definitely notice the local Italian oil.

I found a bar that was showing the Napoli-Sassuolo game. I hung out, got wine drunk, and was happy that Napoli (who is ahead of Milan in the table) dropped points to lowly Sassuolo.

I spent what was left of the night walking around and getting a lay of the land. Napoli is much scarier at night, lol. Those small alleys turn into very dark alleys and when you find yourself alone, it's not the best feeling lol.

I planned out the next day (Mount Vesuvius) and rested. I feel like I might be getting sick. Too much moving around and not enough resting. Hopefully it's not the case but we'll see tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive