Saturday, March 9, 2019

Friday, March 8th. Munich

I woke up and tried to get reasonably early start. I wanted to get to take the 2.5 hour train to Neuschwanstein Castle, spend however long there, make it back on another 2.5 hour train ride, and get to Munich in time to wrap up whatever I wanted to go in Munich.

I had breakfast at the hotel and took a 9:30AM train. The train ride was pretty nice. Again, the German countryside is fucking amazing.

I got off the train, took a bus, and finally made it to the bottom of the hill that Neuschwanstein Castle sits on. You could either hike for 30 minutes or pay to take a horse carriage up. It was low-key a tough hike but it was well worth it.

It was pretty much as beautiful as I hoped it would be. I was a little disappointed that Queen Mary's Bridge was closed, but it was still fine. Queen Mary's Bridge offers the best view of Neuschwanstein Castle. Maybe I'll come back one day.

Right after I found out that the bridge was closed, I realized that I had lost my power bank. I just have left it on the train. I was actually kind of shook because a power bank is one of the most important things to bring with you when you travel, especially to another continent.

This changed my plans a little bit. Thankfully I was staying in one of the most advanced cities in the world. I would have been more worried if I was staying in Verona or Naples and had to find a good power bank. I spent a good amount of the rest of the night shopping. I ended up with a decent power bank and some bourgie headphones. The over ear headphones that my sister had given me years ago had broken a couple days prior so I figured I might as well get some good over ear headphones here.

For dinner I wanted to get more of the wagyu beef that I had the night prior. I searched for good wagyu beef in Munich and found a couple of spots. I walked to like 4 different spots and every single one had lines out the door. It was ridiculous! None of them could sit a single person. I went to some famous beer garden but it was way too loud and boisterous. I wanted to just relax and chill by myself and this vibe was not doing it for me. I ended up settling for some bratwurst. It was cheap and it was fire. I didn't get my wagyu beef but I was pretty content.

I must have spent at least an hour or an hour and a half walking around lol. Somehow I accumulated the most steps this day than I did on any other day of this trip. And I spent 5 hours of the day on a train!

I spent the rest of the night charging stuff, finishing laundry, and planning stuff out. I was disappointed that I didn't get to go to the English garden. It's supposed to be Munich's version of Central Park. It's actually even bigger than Central Park. But I figured I needed to keep my eyes on the prize and focus on being in good condition to make it to the Milan game in Verona the next day.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Munich. It seems like a great city to make a base and take day trips to surrounding areas. It's very modern, has a great culture, and caters pretty well to tourists. Is it on my bucket list to come back? Not really. Would I complain if I came back? Not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive