Tuesday, January 12, 2010

If You Don't Know Me By Now

I think a big thing that we all have, but never really realize, is this button in our heads, that we press every time we take in something unpleasant.

Hearing someone critique your every action? Hit that "terminate button."
Listening to someone you care about tell you how much they hate you? Hit that button.
Listening to something that's making you feel really uncomfortable? End it and hit that button.

Whenever I feel uncomfortable, whenever I'm thinking of something and it starts to hurt, I always want to hit that button, tune everything out, and go into idgaf mode.

I try to challenge myself to use it less and less often, but it's a very daunting task, because that button is so useful. No one wants to be hurt. No one wants to feel uncomfortable. So we use the hell out of that button, and it works. But by tinkering around with how and when we use it, we can use it as a tool for personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive