Sunday, August 18, 2013

Just Hold On

Alrite lemme give you an example of "attitude vs. behavior." It's a concept I think about frequently. I tried very hard to make sure that my attitude and approach towards things is pure. More than that, I try to make sure that my behavior reflects my attitude and approach. What sense is it to have pure intentions if you don't act on them?

So I used to be a fuckboy dickrider of The Weeknd. I would listen to "Trilogy" religiously. My roommates hated me for how loud I would bump his music on the daily.

And I still listen to Trilogy often. But a lot of what he's put out since then hasn't really resonated with me, and he sort of fell off as far as my musical preferences go.

I wondered why I let that happen. I'm a big believer in sticking with your favorite artists regardless of what direction they're going in. I liked Kanye's 808s and Heartbreak because it was different from what his fans expected. A lot of people stopped liking him and moved on. You could see that they were fans of the music, not of the artist. And that's fine. I stuck with it because I knew that there was a place for that kind of music. He could make the kind of music he did pre-808s because he had that side of him, the 808s side. You've got to accept a person for everything they are. Some people didn't, they only liked the music. And that's fine.

Cut back to the Weeknd. His music sort of fell off to me. And that's fine too. Another thing I believe in is that above all, artists need to FORCE people to check out their work. Make such a good product that people HAVE to see what's going on. And the Weeknd just hasn't done that for me lately.

His album comes out sometime soon. I'm so disinterested in his work at this point that I don't even care to look up when it'll come out. But I do hope that he'll surprise me and FORCE me to check out his product. Lord knows he had me HOOKED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive