Monday, June 28, 2010

It's a Shame

I feel fortunate to be a second generation Filipino-American. I don't really have a culture to relate to. I had nearly a clean slate to begin with. I didn't really have a sterotype to conform to. I couldn't really relate to the struggles of living in the ghetto. I couldn't relate to living a rich life. I wasn't exposed to only one kind of culture, although my location limited me to a mostly southern California lifestyle. I'm not "supposed" to be one thing or another. I control who I'll become instead of having stereotypes and others' preconceived notions shape my identity.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly regardless of where you are born we all start that way, it's harder for some, but we are all born wearing only our skin as we will all die the same way. It's up to all of us to carve our paths, leave our mark.

    And we can make friends along the way or not...even with what people assume me to be I control who I am and what they see.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive