Monday, December 17, 2012

Imma Take It From Here

I've heard people talk about how to be interested in someone, you have to have common interests.

I've also heard that opposites attract.

In my opinion, both arguments have a point. If you have common interests, you two have something to talk about and fall back on. And if you're more opposite than alike, then I think there are more opportunities for learning from each other(like a gamer teaching their boo-thang how to play video games).

What I think really matters isn't so much WHAT you two are interested in; it matters more how you two approach what the other is interested in.

Jane and Matt can have similar interests. Maybe they both like rock climbing. That's great and that gives them something to talk about, do together, pursue a future in. That's awesome and that'll probably work out for them. Their relationship probably won't falter because they have a disconnect in their interests.

Chris and Michelle, however, might be more opposite than alike. Chris is into video games and chess. Michelle is into girly television shows and running. That doesn't make for a doomed relationship though. Chris can find a way to get Michelle into video games and Michelle can get Chris to appreciate her favorite television shows. They can expand their taste in culture through and with each other.

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't buy the idea that you need to have common interests in order to work as a relationship. Moreover, I think what you're interested isn't really all that important at all. It's more important that you genuinely care about the other person and are willing to put in work towards your relationship. Coming into the relationship, you might have found "Call of Duty" incredibly boring, but if you're willing to put in some effort, you can find a middle ground. Instead of playing first person shooters, you could get into side scrollers. On that same note, you might not really appreciate "Keeping Up With The Kardashians," but you could meet in the middle and get into "Pretty Little Liars."

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this subject. I just know that I'm not entirely sold on the idea that I have to have the same hobbies as a girl that I'm into


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive