Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm Here to Piss People Awf

In both soccer and football,
In both futból and American football,

we're seeing rule changes that go a long way towards player safety. In fútbol, tackles with both feet up and studs up are receiving red cards. In football, tackling form is heavily scrutinized and incorrect tackling form can carry with them hefty fines along with suspension.

I love it because we need to worry about the lives and well-being of the athletes we deify. Old school sports fans might pine for the old days of yesteryear, where one could take another's head off and chalk it up as sheer will and determination, but in 2012, with all the science and information we have, we have no choice but to go the safe route.

Don't get me wrong; I love a hard hit just as much as the next guy. But if it comes at the risk/expense of a man's health and well-being, then that's where you lose me. I love watching these players do their thing too much to have their careers cut short by injury. More than that, these are normal people who have families, friends and interests to look after.

It's a change that I'm glad is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive