Monday, January 2, 2012

Potential Could Never Last This Long

I'm fortunate that throughout my life, I've been afforded the opportunity to grow and develop many different skills. I've seen many of my peers be held back. They've been sheltered, not allowed to learn and grow by themselves. It was justified by their oppressors using the same excuses; "you're too young to understand," "you've never done it before and I just want it to be done right," "you're not responsible enough." I was left to handle things myself and to learn from my mistakes. Some of my peers weren't allowed to make those same mistakes and as a result, are still developing and honing a bunch of skills.

I see this contrast when in a group. Let's say we're making our way across town using the metro. I know for a fact that I can lead the group to our destination with no problem. I can read a map and I know how to get on a train, get off at my stop, cross onto another train and all that jazz. I'll gladly take the responsibility and lead us across town. But if I see someone who might have never read a map or led a group towards a destination, I'd prefer to let them shine and try to get us to where we need to go. I feel no need to prove myself to anyone; I know what I'm capable of.

It's worth more to the person who's still learning to get across town that they get their chance to shine than it is to me, knowing damn well that I'll get us to our destination no problem. I see no need for me to show off or display my skills when this experience can be infinitely more influential for my peer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive