Friday, December 19, 2014

Kites

If I were an artist, I don't think I would care if people didn't interpret the art the way I wanted them to. Let's say I made a song about heartbreak. I would hope that people hear it and use it to help them get through that emotion. Or they could use it to reflect on a previous breakup.

That being said, I wouldn't even care if people "missed the point" of the song. If someone heard my song about heartbreak and found that it was the happiest song they've ever heard about, I wouldn't mind at all. Someone could hear my heartbreak song and use it in their sunny day, summer playlist. I wouldn't mind at all.

What I would mind is if my art didn't move you. If you hear my song and it doesn't move you at all, doesn't evoke any kind of emotion for you, doesn't make you feel a certain way, then I've failed as an artist. Like, the worst thing you could tell me is that you're wishy-washy about my song. You can tell me that my song sucks and it only barely makes you feel a certain way, and that'd be fine with me. But if you told me that you're indifferent about my song, that would bother me deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive