Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Can't Do This No No No

The person who is most eager to speak first in a conversation/debate is often the one who is less knowledgable on the situation. A real wise and knowledgable person is content to let the other person eagerly spill their cards first, because they know that they really have control of the situation. The person who can't wait to get their thoughts out on the matter knows that they need to get their words out first because they need to show just how much they know. The more knowledgable person will wait it out and listen to the other persons' entire spiel, confident that they can respond in a smart and logical manner.

I often see this in sports talk. Whenever I'm in a conversation about basketball, there's inevitably one person in the convo who HAS to be the first one to speak, eager to display just how much they know about the game. They'll go on and on for 5 minutes, talking about this and that. They end their rant, content that everyone in the conversation knows that they know a lot about basketball.

I'm on the receiving end, listening without interruption, noting each talking point that interests me. I sit there, confident that not only do I understand the point they're making, but I also know the counter argument. Most of the time, I can't even get 10 words into the counter argument before the other person decides that they've had enough; they don't want to hear what I have to say so they interrupt my train of thought and make some small point. I sit there, astonished by the fact that they were so adamant about me not making my point that they had to stop me. I sense that I struck a nerve, so I decide not to pursue any further. Now we're both sitting there, awkward as fuck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive