Friday, September 17, 2010

Republicans Buy Sneakers Too

I was unfortunate enough to have not been old enough to vote when the presidential election was being held in 2008. Now that I am old enough to vote, however, I'm not too sure how I feel about it.

I'm not too much in the know as far as politics go. If I were to vote, I wouldn't want to go into it blindly, so I would probably do some last minute research. I'm talking a 1-2 hour search on candidates and what they stand for. Then I'd go and vote for whatever policies I agree with.

This leads me to wonder if I really should be voting. I wouldn't be very much educated on the matters I would be voting for. Philosophically speaking, I more or less follow Kantianism. This being so, I ask myself questions like "if everyone voted like me, would the world be a better place?"

I'm not too sure it would be. I think I might have to do my part and look much more into politics than I currently do.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, no matter how uninformed you may think you are, there are a large amount of people even less informed who mistakenly believe they are informed that vote. 1/3 Republicans _believe_ Obama is a Muslim, I'm pretty sure they still vote.

    Not only do citizens not have a say in the politics of other countries, consider that voters over in America are wrongfully disenfranchised for multitudes of reasons. Saying voting is a privilege is no understatement.

    The only reason I support not voting, is if you have a genuine lack of faith in the system and wish to show that. Not voting is just as much exercising your right of free speech as voting.

    I'm personally a third party voter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of freshman year, where we had our first (written) convo on that bday poster in the hall. it consisted of us saying how much it sucked being youngins unable to vote. kinda how we first met!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive